Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Tip for the day... Value vs. Cost


Yes, that is another roofing company's video. I haven't gotten the tripod out yet but I'm getting there. But it isn't the actual video that I wanted to share with you. it was something he said: "Hire a licensed contractor." 'Nuff said. Somehow, in South Florida, it seems like this is even more of an issue because of the transient nature of both contractors and homeowners, heck almost everyone as a matter of fact. It's different here. Up north, businesses come and go these days too with the economy being what it is and all but, you had a better chance of having stability in trade industries because of people's long standing attitude to grow where they're planted. Don't get me wrong, businesses are passed down generation to generation here also but there is something about family tradition that seemed stronger "back home" in New England. We're an old-fashioned family business. My father taught me everything about roofing and construction from the time I was big enough to carry a bundle of shingles. He showed me the importance of doing things right the first time because if you don't, you're just wasting time and resources when you have to do it over. When you have as many mouths to feed as he did, you figure out the best way to complete every job because word of mouth and customer loyalty equaled more work. We didn't call it Yankee ingenuity for nothing. I can't tell you how many times I saw my father create what he needed on the job because you didn't just run out to Home Depot back in the 1950's. And take care of his tools? I still have some of his original hand drills. That was when people took pride in their work and took care of the tools that they needed to make their living.
I know today it's all about the low bidder, which I'm quick to point out that I rarely am. But when we bid your job, we include everything it takes to do the job the right way. Be wary of low bidders who only want to stop your leak today, get your check and then leave town tomorrow. We invariably get called to fix those roof repairs and you'd think that over time people would realize that they're paying twice because they thought they were getting off cheap. We all have to watch our bottom lines these days, no doubt about it. This economy has everyone grasping at straws and that's where personal integrity just can't be beat. When you hire any company, you need to know they'll stand behind their work. I know that sounds really old-fashioned but it is tried and true. We guarantee and warranty and heck, I'll make you a cup of tea...just kidding...but you get my point. We still have a personal best at stake when we take a job, and we treat people with respect the way we were taught.

No comments:

Post a Comment